Sunday, March 18, 2007

You might not run across these...

Three books, not already read or discussed by the R47 crew. Well, here are three you may not have run across: a Swedish novel, a work of theology, and a Lewis novel (OK, we may all have read it--but not discussed it).

Den keltiska ringen by Bjorn Larsson. I read books in Swedish when I can to keep from losing touch with that language. This novel is available in translation, though I have no idea how good the translation is. The novel's narrator is an unrooted Swede who lives alone on a sailboat in a Danish harbor. A chance meeting on a ferry, and unsought custody of a doomed Finnish sailor's log book send Ulf and his loner friend Torben (a bookworm with an interest in all things Celtic) on a dangerous sail across to North Sea into a series of near-fatal encounters with political and religious branches of a pan-Celtic revival. It's a pretty good adventure--pushes the limits of my nautical vocabulary in Swedish, so I'm glad I didn't have to translate it. As I was finishing the book, I caught an article in a Swedish newspaper reporting a resurgence of Scottish separatism. Once gain, fiction is prophetic!

Flame of Love by Clark Pinnock. This book is a theology of the Holy Spirit. I'm glad I read it because it forced me to think about the role of the Spirit in the trinity. It is contains some beautiful articulations of Arminian theology's wide and geneours vision of God's grace. I particularly enjoyed the chapters on Trinity (1) , Creation (2) and (especially) Universality (6).

Until we have faces by C.S. Lewis. So maybe everyone has read it already. I think I had started it a couple of times, but I decided to see it through when I was sick an couple of weeks ago. I'm glad I finished it this time, and find it interesting on a couple of levels. I'm mostly intrigued by Lewis' handling of myth. Someday I would like to read it with a group; the episode where the narrator discovers the shrine to the "newly godded" Psyche would be fun to discuss.

No comments: