Friday, March 16, 2007

Leslie goes a-listing!

And thusly our suggestions begin to pour forth. My selection is a combining of a current focus and things that I just happen to think are fabulous that I saw sitting on my school shelf. All three are fiction but highly edifying nonetheless.

First and foremost - The Man Who was Thursday by Gilbert Kieth Chesterton.
Not only does this book have one of the most fabulous titles known to man, it is a fascinatingly twisted mystery that makes you wonder. The dialogue is powerful and do I even have to mention the anarchists?

Suggestion the next - Lillith by George MacDonald.
This is not necessarily an easy read, but more than well worth the time. MacDonald's descriptions are vivid and bring to life his magnificent characters and deeply immerses you in his world. It is fairly clear, I would say, why Lewis (as in C. S.) was attracted to his writing. If you're into theological concepts surrounding prayer or Lillith as Adam's first wife, there is a whole other layer for you to explore.

Last but in no way least - Dracula by Bram Stoker.
I adore this novel. It has been long enough that I don't think I can manage quite to explain how or why, but it is fascinating. Plus, a character in it, bet you cannot guess which one, is based on Vlad the Impaler. How cool is that?

Thar ya be. Happy reading.

2 comments:

Amanda Grace said...

I haven't read any of these! (though Dracula has been on the list for a while).
:~D

MLP said...

I had a class on Gothic fiction as part of my English major (ages ago), so it has been a while. I should pull out Dracula for fun again ... when the moon is full.