Sunday, November 4, 2007

While visions of Grendel danced in their heads...

Recently, I was talking to a colleague in the medieval studies department here at UConn about the new Beowulf movie, and we hit upon what we think is a very interesting project to undertake. As happy (or unhappy, for some people) as we are to see Anglo-Saxon literature hitting the big screen, it will, like all movies, present an interpretation of the material that will influence a far greater audience than any of the others. Because of this, my friend and I proposed the Grendel Drawing Project to our department. In the same spirit, I'm also proposing the project to readers and contributors of this blog in the hopes that you all will help me in this effort.

Grendel is not described in much detail in the Anglo-Saxon text, and because of this, readers' conceptions of him vary widely. So what does your Grendel look like? Because of this, I'm looking to get as many people as possible to draw Grendel for me, using whatever media they wish. It does not matter whether you can draw well or not--we simply want to see your version. I'd like to use these images in a future project, probably as part of my ongoing fascination with the Beowulf story in popular consciousness. I'm interested (before the movie taints your visions of Grendel) in how many people view the creature in their minds.

I know it's a busy part of the semester for everyone, but in the next few weeks, could you take time out of your schedule to draw up your vision of Grendel? This is supposed to be a fun project, so let your imagination loose! Please feel free to spread the word, too (as I could use images from anyone who has read the poem). If you find the time, email your image to me at: brandonwhawk [at] gmail [dot] com.

[Cross-posted at Point of Know Return.]

3 comments:

MLP said...

As I noted at PoKR, this is an oh-so-cool idea and an oh-so-creul one for those of us who barely passed stick-figure drawing (with extra tutoring). Can't wait to see what you get from this!

Unknown said...

You passed stick figure drawing? Lucky you--I definitely failed that one. ;~P
In fact, my second grade teacher refused to hang my drawings on the classroom wall with all the other students' pictures. Still haven't gotten over that one...
However, it is a really cool idea. Maybe I can convince James to draw what I describe to him... haha.

MLP said...

Today, talking with Leslie, I had the thought that I could submit a picture of Nathaniel's Lego Grendel...