Monday, February 18, 2008

Books and links.

No Brandon, I haven't done the meme yet, but I'm working on it. Sort of.

Since we have created this plot to read Le Goff's The Medieval Imagination, I stopped by Borders to see if they had it [a. because of the general immediacy of a book store and b. I currently have a 40% off coupon...I'm so shallow]. For some inexplicable reason, however, they did not. Instead of walking away upon discovering this, as would have been the bright thing to do, I allowed myself to drool over the following three books:

Mysteries of the Middle Ages [which I did not buy for price's sake]
History of the Franks [which I did not buy for the fact that it is amply available online]
and, to cap it off in a veritable pool of mental drool [gross, but to the point]
Beowulf: An Illustrated Edition [which I did not for the fact that I own at least two copies not in anthologies already, if not three]

There were a number of other books I would love to mention, but for now these are the titles I remembered and desired to share.

Mainly that last one.

It's really pretty.

3 comments:

bwhawk said...

I don't know about the first two--could be interesting, but I'd have more interest in History of the Franks, I think--but the new illustrated Beowulf (Heaney, of course, published by Norton) does look nice. With all the pictures of artifacts and various things, it could be nice as a coffee-table version of the poem. Still, as far as translation editions, I still enjoy having all the critical bits that come with the Norton Critical Beowulf.

Leslie said...

Coffee table medievalism.

What next?

MLP said...

Um.... next time you're here, take a look at our coffee table. (It IS beautiful.)

I think my Leg Off arrived today, though I never had time to open the envelope. (We were busy having pointless meetings, then driving to the Maple Tree Inn (the real reason I teach at Houghton!))